2015/03/02

The Book Of Secrets

So, I'm getting in the habit of drawing a thing every day. I usually pull ideas from Sketch Dailies, a daily drawing Twitter feed. But today I decided to use Phil McAndrew's  Big List Of Stuff To Draw.

  My work tends to differ from at least those artists who use pen tablets primarily. My work is not as clean and crisp as most. I like drawing abnormal, dirty, sweaty people who have some character to them. I do use a tablet to clean up small things, but I always try to start out with pencil and ink before adding color and touch ups.

I've been thinking about my artistic influences and I should sit down and list them out. My influences today seems to be a little Robert Crumb, a pinch of Peter Bagge, a sprinkle of Basil Wolverton. It's too bad none of them were any good at doing color. I have tons more influences that are contemporary to the 21st century.

I really liked the color combos in that Gravity Falls cartoon series. Also the animation. I mention that show because alot of my influences are from video games, animations, people on the street. I try not to copy other illustrator's work. But sometimes their influence just slips in there.

Okay, that's it for now.

2 comments:

Joseph said...

Congrats on sketching every day. Your art definitely has a traditional feel, but how do you usually start with pixel art like your TMNT work?

Gravity Falls does have a great color palette. Did you get a chance to talk to Sabrina Cortugno (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wpw_9vA7U&list=PL_pXBtCqjKy9mmToKUCnzCho0albB6Igq&index=2) at APE last year? She's a storyboard artist and character designer on the show.

Mike Hales said...

Joseph,
I should do a post on my pixel art process in the future. Thanks. I never got a chance to meet Sabrina, but I like her work.